- 1 Tierra del Fuego National Park, Ushuaia, Argentina
- 2 Beagle Strait, Ushuaia, Argentina
- 3 Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
- 4 Perito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate, Argentina
- 5 Glacier Grande, El Chaltén, Argentina
- 6 Cerro Torre, El Chaltén, Argentina
- 7 Mount Fitz Roy, El Chaltén, Argentina
- 8 Los Alerces National Park, Esquel, Argentina
- 9 Nahuel Huapi National Park, Bariloche, Argentina
- 10 Villarrica Volcano, Pucón, Chile
- 11 Useful Information about Patagonia
- 12 Where is Patagonia located?
- 13 How to get to Patagonia
- 14 What to see and do in Patagonia
- 15 Useful tools to organize your trip
- 16 PIN IT FOR LATER?
Tierra del Fuego National Park, Ushuaia, Argentina
Beagle Strait, Ushuaia, Argentina
Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
Perito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate, Argentina
Glacier Grande, El Chaltén, Argentina
Cerro Torre, El Chaltén, Argentina
Mount Fitz Roy, El Chaltén, Argentina
Los Alerces National Park, Esquel, Argentina
Nahuel Huapi National Park, Bariloche, Argentina
Villarrica Volcano, Pucón, Chile
Useful Information about Patagonia
Where is Patagonia located?
Patagonia is situated in the Southern end of South America. This vast region is shared between Argentina and Chile, although most of the land belongs to the Argentineans.
How to get to Patagonia
The best way to get to Patagonia is to fly to Ushuaia (or some place in the far South) from Buenos Aires and make your way North stopping at the most beautiful places. If you want to visit the most Southern part of the region, the long busride from the capital would take several days, crossing the border between Argentina and Chile several times and it would turn out to be an infinite journey.
What to see and do in Patagonia
Our photos above show you the places in Patagonia that we would recommend you to visit. Starting in Ushuaia, a very peculiar city, known as the most Southern town in the world, you should visit the Tierra del Fuego National Park with beautiful lakes and green forests, and enjoy a boat trip in the Beagle Strait where apart from the landscape, you can see quite a lot of wildlife: lion seals and penguins amongst others. Then head North and cross the border to Chile till you get to Puerto Natales, where you can do a 3 or more day trek in the Torres del Paine National Park. Here you can see the famous towers, probably the most dramatic mountain landscape of the whole Patagonia region. Continuing your way North, another place that you have to visit in Patagonia is the Perito Moreno Glacier, which can be accessed from El Calafate. Although you might start to get tired of the hikes, you can’t miss out on El Chaltén, which is the hiking capital of the country. You can do several trails from here, the most populars are the one that goes to the lagoon close to Cerro Torre and you definitely have to see Mount Fitz Roy, a peak of such a unique shape. If you still have energy, you can explore the Los Alerces National Park close to Esquel, which is quite off the beaten path, but the colors of the rivers and lakes will make this park one of the top places in your Patagonia itinerary. Bariloche, refered to as the capital of the region, has to be your next stop, where you can rent a car and visit the Nahuel Huapi National Park and the Route of the 7 Lakes. The final stop of your visit to Patagonia can be Pucón, from where you can climb the Villarrica Volcano if you feel brave or you can just enjoy the views of the volcano from either Pucón or Villarrica.
Are you already aching to visit Patagonia? Read about how to plan a trip to this far land.
Want to read more about this wonderful country? Check out our mini guide about traveling to Argentina with lots of useful tips and information.
Useful tools to organize your trip
– ZZZ… BOOK YOUR HOTEL IN THE PATAGONIA – find the best hotel for you.
– GET 25€ CREDIT WITH AIRBNB – find your perfect host.
– WOW… EXCURSIONS, CHEAP GUIDED TOURS and TICKETS SKIPPING THE LINE – book your tours, excursions and visits and save time skipping the line.
– FLYYY… Find the CHEAPEST FLIGHT TO PATAGONIA.
– BRUM BRUM… RENT A CHEAP CAR FOR YOUR TRIP TO PATAGONIA – find the best car for you.
PIN IT FOR LATER?